“Charm is a deadly thing,” the enchantress said.
I could not account for the sorrow in her crumpled
face, nor did I understand why she spoke at all–––
as if people listen at parties, as if they care about
the prudent and the wise, or the clock that strikes
upon the hour. My smile would never reach her.
Instead, it gallivanted across the room, strutting
here and there, warming itself at the dance,
determined to have its way–––splitting bodies
into axis and allies, commandeering vessels
without regard for opulence or rank. If only.
If only I could remember the way his blouse was
slashed to reveal a heart as dark as rose petals.
Beneath it all (the alabaster face to be chipped
away; the circling, crimson and full of promise;
the blunt weaponry), what did I see?
If only I remembered! She was looking ever on,
she was mumbling her spells, she was certain
I would fall and spat acid warnings in the night.
If only I remembered! When her eyes punctured
the joy of the scramble, the bliss of being men,
and pinned us to the wall–––did we writhe?
Did we bleed to death in an endless instant?
If only I remembered! The chill of mourning
makes it impossible now to grope for truth.
I have dressed too many coffins. The knell
rings out, and my marrow repeats the sound.
I know. I do know. It is a lethal, lethal Thing.
1 opmerking:
nice, one small thing, i like the whole rhytm of it, except the first sentence. why not: the enchantress said, instead of said the enchantress?
Een reactie posten